Retro gaming cables are here at Cable Chick! Need a relacement AV cable for your Sega Mega Drive 2 or Genesis 3 game console? Well you've come to the right place!
This is a replacement AV cable for MK2 Mega Drive or Genesis 3 Consoles (for Composite Video + Mono Audio).
If you have a TV with RGN SCART input, consider getting the best picture possible from your 8-bit and 16-bit Sega consoles with our Sega Multi-AV to RGB SCART Cable.
What Are Retrogaming Cables?
Our Retrogaming cables have been specifically designed for the 8-bit and 16-bit video game consoles we grew up with, from companies like Sega, Nintendo and a little later, Sony. These cables have been developed to either serve as quality replacements for the original AV cables which shipped with the game consoles, or offer superior AV output quality so you can enjoy these old consoles like never before!
Cable Options for the Sega Mega Drive 2 and 3 consoles
When it comes to hooking up your Sega Mega Drive 2 or Genesis 3 console to a TV, you have four main options:
- THIS CABLE > Composite Video: A big step up from RF connections, with noticeably better for video and audio, however the results are still not great due to the signal being carried through a single pin... Yet on the plus side, the MK2 Mega Drive console is known to have better quality Composite Video output than the original MK1 Mega Drive! This cable works as a replacement cable for what ships with the Mega Drive 2 and Genesis 3 consoles, providing Mono Audio output.
- S-Video: S-Video is supported via the multi-AV output on both the Mega Drive 1 & 2 models, and represents a significant step-up from Composite Video quality, thanks to the signal being carried across multiple pins. If your TV doesn't support RGB SCART input, this will be your best option, but requires a different cable with an S-Vdieo plug.
- RGB SCART: The SCART connector was an amazing analogue standard used in Europe, and it made it's way over to Australia on some higher end CRT televisions. With full separation of the vidoe and audio signals, you will get the very best picture possible from an RGB SCART connection, which is supported on both the Mega Drive MK1 and MK2 consoles.
Retro Gaming on a modern HDMI TV or monitor
Although you could convert Composite Video to HDMI for use on a modern screen, a converter will not be able to improve on the poor image quality of the Composite Video standard. So if you have a RGB SCART compatible TV, our Sega Multi-AV 8-Pin DIN Cables can be used with our SCART to HDMI Converter for 720p or 1080p upscaled digital audio and video output, and excellent output quality.
Keeping things simple
You may read all of this and think this is terribly complicated, however it's more the case that we are just trying to cover all the bases. When it comes to the early Sega consoles, you just need to remember these things:
- The Master System MK1 and Mega Drive MK1 consoles share a Multi-AV output, which is different from the Mega Drive Mk2 and Genesis 3 systems.
- Mega Drive MK2, and Genesis 2 and 3 modles (from the USA) use the same Mini-DIN AV output, which natively supports Video + Stereo Audio.
- The Multi-AV port can output Composite Video (this cable), S-Video or RGB SCART video, plus audio.
- RGB SCART offer the best possible video output for your Sega consoles, if you have a SCART TV.
Why shop with Cable Chick
- 5 Year Cable Chick Warranty!
- Replacement AV Cable for the Sega Mega Drive 2 (MK2), and Genesis 2 & 3 Game consoles only
- Outputs Composite Video + Mono Audio for connection to most TVs
- Requirements: Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 or 3 Game Console + TV with an AV Input
- A perfect replacement for your old/damaged Sega AV cables
- Length: 1.8m (Approx)
- Colour: Black
- Australia's leading retailer of AV cables and tech accessories
- Flat-rate shipping nation wide
- Secure online shopping 24/7
- 14 years experience with 1000's of health, government & education clients
- ALL products locally stocked for same-day dispatch
- Industry leading warranties up to 5-years on products
- A customer base of over 250k+ Australians who trust Cable Chick
- Proudly to be 100% Australian, employing all local staff