Compatible with Apple Thunderbolt and all Mini-DisplayPort sockets!
Connects from a Mini-DisplayPort or Thunderbolt video output device to a display with a Mini-DisplayPort input. Please note that while this Mini-DisplayPort cable is compatible with Thunderbolt sockets for AV signal transmission, a dedicated Thunderbolt cable is required for Data transmission to HDDs etc.
Got one of those fancy MacBook Pros with a Thunderbolt socket - good 'o. Your new retina-quality display only takes Mini-DisplayPort inputs - perfect! As this Thunderbolt-compatible Mini-DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cable is designed to carry ultra high-bandwidth DisplayPort Video & Audio signals with optimal fidelity.
Works with all Mini-DisplayPort compatible hardware!
So what's the difference between Mini-DisplayPort and Thunderbolt?
Put simply, a Thunderbolt connection is just like a Mini-DisplayPort connection, only with the ability to transfer Data - in addition to Video and Audio signals. Each cable features the exact same Plugs, but Thunderbolt utilises additional wires internally to carry high-bandwidth data - a feature not supported by the AV focused Mini-DisplayPort standard. So short of transferring data to an external HDD, this MiniDP cable is ready to work with any MiniDP or Thunderbolt sockets for all your Audio Visual desires. Note: This cable cannot connect a Thunderbolt Source to a Thunderbolt-only display: eg: Macbook Pro to iMac.
VESA-compliant and compatible with all current HBR DisplayPort abilities including HD, 3D, 4K@30Hz, Audio and more.
- 5 year Cable Chick Warranty
- 1.8m Male Mini-DisplayPort Cable
- Fully Bi-Directional
- Fully Compatible with Apple Thunderbolt sockets!
- Nickle Silver Plated Connectors for optimal signal transfer
- Supports most signals such as 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1440p, 4K@30Hz and more
- 7.1 HD audio formats such True HD and DTS HD are fully supported
- 8.64 Gbps Data tranfer rate (HBR)
- Full Support for HDCP ver. 1.2 and DPCP (Display Port Content Protection)
- Colour: White with Silver Connectors
Thunderbolt Note: Our DisplayPort cables are not suitable for Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt connections, only Thunderbolt to DisplayPort.
Why shop with Cable Chick
- Australia's leading retailer of AV cables and tech accessories
- Flat-rate shipping nation wide
- Secure online shopping 24/7
- 14 years experience with 1000's of health, government & education clients
- ALL products locally stocked for same-day dispatch
- Industry leading warranties up to 5-years on products
- A customer base of over 250k+ Australians who trust Cable Chick
- Proudly to be 100% Australian, employing all local staff
Posted: 2nd Sept, 2014
When you say that the cable is Thunderbolt compatible do you mean that it will work in Apple's Thunderbolt port but still simply work as Mini DisplayPort cable?
"Yes that's right. Being a Mini DisplayPort cable, this cable will only support the Mini DisplayPort functions of the Thunderbolt port. Naturally this means that if you're trying to connect two Thunderbolt devices with the cable you need to make sure that both devices support Mini DisplayPort signals over Thunderbolt. Not all Thunderbolt devices do this automatically."
Posted: 21st April, 2015
Would this cable be suitable to connect two
WD MY BOOK THUNDERBOLT DUO 4TB External Hard Drive HDDs ?
"Our Thunderbolt-compatible DisplayPort cables are not suitable for Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt data connections, only Thunderbolt to DisplayPort monitor for video and audio."
Have a question about this product?