Boost the volume of your laptop or add TOSLINK optical audio output to your PC or Windows Tablet!
Connects to your Windows PC or Laptop via USB 2.0 to provide SPDIF TOSLINK Digital Optical and volume-boosted 5.1 Channel Analogue Audio
The first thing we noticed about this clever little box was that without drivers, it worked as a stereo amplifier. That's right! If your laptop can't push out sound at a reasonable volume, this little box will double the potential volume under Windows 7 and Windows 8 without needing to install any third-party software. This is great for when you like to use your big studio-quality cans but your PC or laptop hasn't got the oomph to run them.
Once you install the CM6206LX chipset drivers, the full potential of this USB sound card can be realised. First, you get 5.1-channel surround sound audio output from the main 3.5mm headphone jacks. That's stereo front, stereo rear and centre/sub connections ripe for use with a multi channel speaker setup. Rounding out the analogue jacks are a Line-In and a Microphone input, so it's ready for recording and gaming use as necessary.
TOSLINK DIgital optical audio is represented by both an output socket and an input socket. Output is limited to 48KHz so be sure that your receiving gear can handle it. We hooked it up to our Digital to Analogue converter to make sure the optical link was working, and it was perfect in our steroe testing.
Mac Note: This product only works as a 2-channel analogue audio amplifier under Mac OS 9.1 and higher. Optical and surround sound abilites are not available for Mac OS as no drivers exist.
Inputs & Outputs:
- 1 x USB Input/Output Connection to Windows-based PC
- 1 x TOSLINK Optical Input @ 32, 44 or 48KHz
- 1 x TOSLINK Optical Output @ 48KHz
- 1 x 3.5mm Mic Input
- 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Line Input
- 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Front Output
- 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Rear Output
- 1 x 3.5mm Centre/Sub (Stereo) Output
Technical and Compatibility Info:
- 12 Month Replacement Warranty
- USB Sound Card / Headphone Amplifier
- 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Output
- Simultaneous Optical Audio Output via SPDIF TOSLINK
- Optical Output up to 5.1 channels at 48KHz only
- Outputs & Drivers tested under Windows 7 & Windows 8
- Also compatible with Windows XP SP3
- Not compatible with Windows 10
- 80mm Driver CD Included for CM6206LX drivers
- Driver downloads also available on this page
- USB Powered - no mains socket required!
- Includes 30cm USB Mini-B 5-Pin Cable
- Colour: Black
- 1x USB Cable
- 1 x Driver Disc
- 1 x USB Sound Card Unit
Toslink Optical Cables and 3.5mm Stereo Cables are sold separately.Why shop with Cable Chick
- Australia's leading retailer of AV cables and tech accessories
- Flat-rate shipping nation wide
- Secure online shopping 24/7
- 14 years experience with 1000's of health, government & education clients
- ALL products locally stocked for same-day dispatch
- Industry leading warranties up to 5-years on products
- A customer base of over 250k+ Australians who trust Cable Chick
- Proudly to be 100% Australian, employing all local staff
Posted: 27th Nov, 2014
How is it powered?
"Both power and audio data come from the connected PC. If you're using a Laptop on battery power, you may notice a hit to your battery life when using this device, but the draw is minimal (just like any USB accessory)."
Posted: 23rd June, 2015
Can you use this device without needing to connect to a pc to convert audio on the TOSLINK input, outputting to the 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Front Output, 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Rear Output and 1 x 3.5mm Centre/Sub (Stereo)Output simultaneously?
"SPDIF input is for recording to PC, and may require third-party software for full benefit."
Posted: 24th Sept, 2015
Will this work connecting directly to TV spdif out to adapter spdif out without pc?
"This device is powered and controlled by a PC. It does not operate without a computer. If you just need to convert a TV's SPDIF output to analogue, please consider our product code: SW4002"
Posted: 28th Sept, 2015
Can I power it with usb, just plug toslink S/PDIF IN and get it out to the 3 jacks (rear, front, subwf/center) ?
"No. This is not a stand-alone DAC. The Toslink input feeds to USB, not to the analogue jacks. A Computer is required to control this sound card."
Posted: 20th July, 2017
Windows 10 Support. Does not list it in the product description and the employees were not sure about it. Bought it anyways and works fine, just plug and play no worries at all!?
"That is great to hear! Thank you for your feedback regarding the Windows 10 support."
Have a question about this product?